Being a busy mum is hard I know that myself. But often I find it hard to stay motivated and focused on my end goals.
Being a fit and strong mum has always been something I really wanted to achieve. But to be honest after a long time of trying I’m still not there. I’m that person that gets all excited about latest programs, makes plans, starts and then never finishes. Each time telling myself I will get there this time, but never do…
Does this sound like you??
Well it has been me, for a long time! Ever since I had my daughter nearly 5 years ago I have been meaning to get back on track but still haven’t. Trying to get motivated and finding the time is hard, isn’t it?
I’ve started many fitness plans with all good intentions, only for motivation to dwindle, circumstances change and then I fall of the wagon. Again, and again!
Most of all I have found that not only do you need to be motivated you also need a good solid plan on when and how you will achieve your goals.
So how do you do this? Well first start small. Maybe plan a workout out once or twice a week, then once that has become habit add more until you are up to your ideal amount (around three workouts a week). Here’s some other ideas to get you reaching your goals;
- Make yourself accountable; come up with some clear and specific goals. Write them down and stick to them.
- Find a time of day that works for you and stick with it. Set reminders on your phone if you must.
- Set a deadline for when you want to achieve your goals then work back from that. Knowing how long you have got will encourage you to get going.
- Make working out a daily habit like everything else you do. It may take time to build up but once you have it will become a habit that you just do.
“Fitness is like a relationship. You can’t cheat and expect it to work”
Once you have a plan set and your goals written down you need to put these into action. Sometimes finding the motivation can be hard, but with a little effort you will be smashing workouts out regularly without even thinking about it. There are several ways you could do this, here a few ideas
- Get together with friends, make plans and stick with them
- Make a vision board with pictures of what you want to achieve and motivational goals
- Make yourself accountable, as I said before making goals, write them down and stick to them.
- Have fun, if you’re not having fun you’re not going to stick with it, so find something you enjoy.
“When you feel like quitting, think about why you started”
And again, have fun. Getting fit and healthy doesn’t need to be a chore and a bore. Pushing myself into routines and programs I didn’t enjoy was one of my biggest mistakes! Because I didn’t enjoy it I never really felt motivated to do it, therefore I would eventually give up. Each time I gave up I would tell myself it’s not for me and blob out again until something else came along. Once I found what I liked doing it was easy, I wanted to get on and workout. If you need some help keeping motivated visit my Archives here, there is a great range of books there to get you on your way to reaching your goals.
When the going gets tough, the tough get going”
What is it that motivates you and gets you going? I would love to hear how you keep motivated to push through even the roughest patches.